Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Finding your Willpower...

Typically I like to say that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.  I'm not going to finish my weight loss journey and then go back to eating like crap.  Rather I'm going to continue this healthy journey for the rest of my life.  With that being said, for the next 2 weeks I am on a "diet" of sort during this Reset.  And so, I do have to practice additional willpower  I found this Action Step for practicing it and I thought that it was a really good reminder. 

For example, this past weekend
 I was at a birthday party with my children.  At the party they were serving some super yummy-looking food that I could have seriously just dived right into.  And then, the birthday cake had seriously thick frosting and chocolate mousse filling, two of my favs!  I could have easily given in and just said, "Screw it!"  But because I've been practicing my willpower on a regular basis, something like the main meal was easy, and the cake with the frosting, though difficult to pass on, I was able to accomplish it!

You see, willpower is not something that's just there.  We need to actually work at exhibiting our willpower in order for it to become a powerful tool in our day to day life.  When we practice saying no to things that might create a detour in our journey, we are strengthening that "muscle" so to speak.  Now I'm not asking you to start with something crazy, like passing up on your favorite dessert at Thanksgiving, but start with something small.  Perhaps it's your second serving of dessert after dinner, or the munchkins in the teacher's room.  It might be the leftovers fr...om you child's breakfast plate, or even something as simple as not picking up a candy bar at the 7-11 when you stop for your morning coffee.  Remember, this is a process and Rome wasn't built in a day!

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment