Friday, September 20, 2013

How to Curtail those Nasty Binges

As many of you already may know, I'm a recovering bulimic.  I was bulimic for over 10 years before getting my shit together and entering into the frustrating and exciting world of recovery.  Never in a million years did I think that I could actually lose weight in a healthy way, yet here I stand before you, living proof that you can.  With that being said, I was an awful, awful, AWFUL binge eater.  Sometimes to the point where I wouldn't even remember what I had consumed except for the empty boxes and wrappers I'd find later.  I may be in recovery (262 days without purging baby!) but that doesn't mean I still don't struggle with a desire to binge.  So a few days ago, when an article was sent my way from an awesome blog Lift Like a Girl about how to break free from binge eating I started thinking about how I've been dealing with my desires to binge and thought I'd share my TOP 5
with you.

1.  There is NO SUCH THING as an off limits food.  This is something that I personally struggle with.  I call these foods "fear foods" because for me they were foods that often sent me into an awful binge.  However, rather then looking at foods as something dangerous, in my house I've begun to teach my children about "sometimes" and "everyday" foods.  Sometimes foods are treats, maybe processed, but things that we shouldn't eat everyday.  It doesn't mean we cannot have them, just in moderation and not all the time.  Everyday foods are those whole foods  (such as meats, veggies, fruits, etc.) that are perfect to eat on a daily basis.

2.  Do not let the scale dictate your life.  I used to allow myself to get so caught up in the number I saw when I weighed myself, that a slight fluctuation meant, "fuck it, I'll go eat whatever I want" or the other extreme, "time to starve."  All that number really means is your gravitational pull to the Earth.  It does not determine your beauty, value, or worth.  The same goes with clothing sizes.

3.  Forgive Yourself.  Have you really ever stopped and thought about the way you speak to yourself.  Would you want to be friends with someone who spoke that way to you?  If you slip up, (and hey, it happens) just let it go.  I once read about how you wouldn't smash your iPhone with a sledgehammer just because it fell.  Same goes true with your eating habits, don't let one overindulgence stick with you.  Forget about it, and just move on.

4.  Get rid of the scale.  I can't honestly do this one.  Since I compete in tournaments that create divisions based on weight (kickboxing and grappling tournaments) I've had to keep mine.  However, I do not allow myself to check my weight nearly as often as I used to.  And I no longer allow myself the scale for 2 days after a slip up.  There's no reason to beat yourself up.

5.  Find Support.  I have some amazing friends and family who I know I can go to when I'm dealing with "feeling bingy."  My husband has learned that he needs to let me go for a drive and get away from the temptation.  My friends are great to text with back and forth or even go for a drive with me if I need it.

***Help others - Post below in the comments section with some of your tried and true way to help curtail those nasty binges!

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment