Friday, October 11, 2013

Book Review - Postnatal Fitness for a New Mom

Recently I received a Facebook message from author Mara Kimowitz, author of Lil' Bootie Guide: Postnatal Fitness for a New Mom.  She asked me if I'd be willing to take a look at her book and give her some feedback on it.  Being a literary nerd, as well as a fitness junkie, how could I refuse?  (Although I did convince her that when she sent me a copy, that she should sign it first...). 

I have to say, this is an amazing book for a mom who just gave birth.  Not only does it give a realistic approach to trying to regain your body back - but it stresses the fact that it takes time to get our "pre-baby" bodies back.  After all, didn't we just have another human growing inside of us for 9+ months?

The quote she starts with really draws you in, "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman existed, but the mother, never.  A mother is something absolutely new."  ~Rajneesh


I don't know about you, but nobody told me of the "bad mommy moments" that take place.  Those confusing moments where you wish you could take your life back but can't imagine your life without your little darlings (or minions in my case) at the same time.  The feelings of guilt for wanting time just for yourself in a society that still looks at that as something taboo!  I'll be the first to admit it - I NEED Kimmie time.  I'm not doing anything crazy at the time - it's not clubs and partying for me.  Rather, I need that time to workout, for me that's how I decompress and refocus on the day.  Without that time for myself, I can't parent the way I know I can.  And she points out something in the opening of her book that is important and so often forgotten - children mimic what they see us do.  If they see us always sitting on the couch, watching TV - well that's what they are going to want to do... and if we eat healthy and exercise they'll want to do that too!  Want proof?  My boys do parts of my morning workout with me everyday! 

The book then goes on with 4 levels of exercises to help you start to get your body back into shape in a gentle way for the brand new Momma, complete with cute stick figure illustrations and a chunk of pages in the back to track your progress!

Overall, I think this is a great book for the brand new momma, not ready for an intense workout, but ready to get the ball rolling for the sake of her health, and in return her child's as well!

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment